Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Well here I am, dragging myself kicking and screaming into this blogging world. I feel that I need to do this, if only to prove that I've still got 'it', whatever 'it' is!

See I am a High School teacher and have been for eight years now. I am only now beginning to realize that I am no longer cool, or hip if you will. I don't feel uncool or unhip. In fact I would tell you that I am the grooviest gal around. My students, however, would say something different, and probably not as nicely. So here I am, trying out the newest trend of them all!

Part of the issue is that over the years I have grown. I have changed, learned new things, experienced different events and happenings. My students do not. Every year the same phenomenon happens; I grow a year older, my students stay the same age. Their issues are the same (gossip, GFs, BFs, etc.) their behaviour stays the same (loud, vivacious, rude at times, and moments of brilliance) their clothes even, for the most part, stay the same (gotta love those baggy pants!). Although I have to say I am a little pissed off at the clothing industry who have decided to bring back the eighties fashions. It wasn't pretty then, it ain't pretty now.

Because of this, I don't feel I am any older. I still feel that I am only a few years older than them and can totally relate to their world. Ha! Not so...I realize this as I walk down the halls and can no longer understand their slang, and can no longer recognize the music they are listening to.

I have now become as uncool as my parents...sigh

1 Comments:

At 8:09 p.m., Blogger doctor T said...

Oddly enough, I have never thought about the fact that teachers are stuck with students of the same age every freakin' year. Ugh. Will I feel the same way when I am teaching university? Will the 20-something angst of grad students annoy the 30-something angst of the post-grad professor? Ack! Now I'm scared.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home