Saturday, September 09, 2006

Phew!


The first week is finally over. I swear it was the longest week of my life. For some reason this year I really did not want to go back. I was enjoying my summer far too much!

It was a little different this year since I had a student teacher right on the very first day. I never thought I would mind, but it was a little awkward. One of the most important things you can do is establish the classroom setting right from the start. Having her in there kind of distrupted my "routine" . It's fine though. I am really looking forward to mentoring her. She seems quite receptive to the hints I have given her. Some of the pointers include:

1) LEARN THEIR NAMES!! There is nothing worse than a teacher by mid-October saying, "Hey you, in the red sweater." This has to be the most important thing you can do as a teacher.

2) Never let them see fear. I definately recommend showing emotion - kids respond to that - but not fear. They will smell fear a mile away and can make your life miserable.

3) Make sure everything you do is purposeful. They will know when you are just "passing time". This will not give them the consistency they need. How will they know that what you are doing is important if you don't make it clear that everything they are expected to do is?

4) You are not their friends. Do not fall in to that trap. I know the urge is there to be liked, but you can be liked and still be their teacher. (Some parents could use this advice)

5) Play games. Learning is so much more fun to do when you are having a good time.

6) Tell stories. Learning is more fun when it doesn't seem like learning. Kids respond to stories very well and are much more interesting than a boring list of facts.

7) Be yourself. Again, kids will see right through you if you are trying to be someone you are not.

8) Journal everything. Write it all down so that you can go back years from now and remember what it was like to be a new teacher. At the end of each day, make sure you write about at least one positive thing that you remember. These will help you during the rough times.

I really enjoy mentoring my student teacher. I'm beginning to think I should go in to teacher training at the University. It would be awesome! But I think I'd miss the classroom too much.

1 Comments:

At 9:43 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

I wish I would've had co-operating teachers (CTs) like you when I was in Uni. I hope things go smoothly with the student teacher, and that your year flies by :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home