Monday, January 29, 2007

The fun of exams!

So I have this very weak student. He is identified which means he is entitled to special considerations such as extra time for test and assignments, extended due dates, etc. He is a very good manipulator as well which is why he has made it to grade 11 without being able to read and process information really well.

Conversation I had with dad:

ME: Hi there, I was calling to let you know that S___ has an exam today. He has not shown up yet, and only has until 1:30 to get here to be able to write it.

DAD: What? Ummm, he had an exam today?

ME: Yep, it's his [insert course name here] exam. He really needs this exam as per our conversation last week about him not turning in his major end-of-year assignment.

DAD: Well, I was under the impression that he was finished all his exams. That's what he told us, so I took him to [insert name of town 3 hours away from here] to hang out with some friends for the weekend.

ME: Unfortunately that's not the case. Our exam period runs for another 3 days. You might want to take a second look at the exam schedule that was sent home with report cards at the beginning of December to make sure he's not going to miss any others.

DAD: I'm going to call him now and find out what's going on. Obviously he won't be able to make the deadline.

ME: That's unfortunate. I don't think that S____ will be receiving his credit for this.

[end of conversation]

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? Is what I wanted to yell into the phone. Here's a kid who struggles, is not very bright, probably needs a good number of hours in order to review for his exams, and you just let him go on a mini-vacation? Without double checking his exam schedule??

Why is the schedule not posted visibly on your refrigerator so that you have a clue as to what's going on in your son's life? I'm not saying you need to hold his hand, but you can sure still be on top of his homework and educational progrees. Especially a kid like this who constantly needs extra support.

I just don't get it. Well, actually I do. Sadly I see this far too often.

4 Comments:

At 9:46 a.m., Blogger Lexy said...

My Mom was the total opposite of that Dad. You would have loved her as a teacher. She made me have a homework book in grade nine

 
At 5:55 p.m., Blogger Raquel said...

I don't understand how parents choose not to be involved in their children's education. I grew up in hicksville with grandparents who can barely read and write and they were very involved in my education. There was no way I would get anything by them.

 
At 7:01 a.m., Blogger dinah34 said...

The exam schedule wasn't posted at home b/c the kid probably never brought it home.

*Sigh* It's so sad and annoying and frustrating. Three quarters of the kids at the school I work at are that kid. It's hard to keep track of 250 kids like that.

Except most of our parents would have asked why the school hadn't called with the exam schedule, the due date for the assignment, etc, etc.

 
At 2:09 a.m., Blogger Paul Day said...

he's manipulative, it clearly works on his parents

 

Post a Comment

<< Home